Recipe for Basic Sauerkraut
A half-cup serving of sauerkraut has about:
13 calories ,0 grams fat,4 grams fiber,7 grams carbohydrates,2 grams sugar,1-gram protein
470 milligrams sodium (20 percent DV),10 milligrams vitamin C (17 percent DV) ,9 micrograms vitamin K (11 percent DV),1 milligram iron (6 percent DV),1 milligram manganese (6 percent DV), 1 milligram vitamin B6 (5 percent DV), 17 milligrams folate (5 percent DV)
one medium head of cabbage. 1 – 2 tablespoons sea salt
1. Chop or shred the cabbage. Sprinkle with salt.
2. Knead the cabbage with clean hands, or pound with a potato masher or cabbage crusher about 10 minutes until there is enough liquid to cover.
3. Stuff the cabbage into a quart jar, pressing the cabbage underneath the liquid.
4. Cover the jar with a tight lid, airlock lid, or coffee filter secured with a rubber band.
5. Culture at room temperature (60-70̊F is preferred) until desired flavour and texture are achieved. If using a tight lid, burp daily to release excess pressure.
6. Once the sauerkraut is finished, put a tight lid on the jar and move to cold storage. The sauerkraut’s flavour will continue to develop as it ages.